Pentax, probably not the first name that comes to mind when considering a digital SLR; don’t be dismissive. Pentax origins date back to 1919, an optical (spectacles lenses) company, the Asahi Kogaku Goshi Kaisha based in Tokyo. After WW11 the company reformed and mounted an assault on the camera market, lenses in particular.
Pentax entered the 35mm film market in the fifties, sturdy well-built cameras with lovely Pentax lenses; still much sought after. Pentax’s compact film cameras were outstanding, in particular the famous Espio range.
Pentax took many awards with their excursion into the digital market, in particular with their Optio range of digital compacts. Inevitably Pentax put their knowhow to work on DSLR’s. The subsequent Pentax 67 DSLR took the market by storm; followed closely by the upgraded 67II (pictured).
Pentax had well and truly entered the digital revolution; amid takeovers and an amalgamation with the prime optical company that is Hoya, followed by the company’s sale to Ricoh in 2011. Pentax have even had close collaboration with Samsung. Nevertheless, the Pentax brand still survives.
One of their current flagship cameras is the beautiful Pentax K-S1 DSLR.
- PENTAX KS-1
The Pentax KS-1 is lightweight and very compact, coming in a delightful range of cheery colours.
The specifications of the KS-1 are even more impressive than the delightful styling:
- 20.42 megapixel high-tech sensor
- Will record RAW and jpeg simultaneously
- Record full HD movies
- ISO from 100 – 5200, ideal for low light photography
- Crisp eleven point auto focus
- Live view feature
- Shutter speed from 30th sec to 1/6000th, giving you more control over results
- Many, many pre-set creative modes from stage lighting and portrait to macro and even surf and snow.
- There’s also a host of digital filters available, starburst, Toy camera, fisheye etc. etc.
This list of specifications goes on …
- 2 x replacement battery D-Li109
- Compatibility: Pentax K-2 K-30 K-50 K-500 K-R K-S1 K-70
- 1150mah, 7.4V, with info chip
- for replacement only , CE Rohs approved
- 20MP stabilised CMOS sensor with AA filter-less
- Sensitivity up to 51200 ISO
- Full HD recording with 30fps frame rate
- Continuos shooting at 5.4fps
- Shutter speed 1/6000sec
- A Fisheye converter enables you to convert a standard lens into a Fisheye. A Fisheye allows you to obtain optimum photographic results in confined spaces. 180° views are now possible with such lenses.
- There are also many situations in which a Fisheye lens can be highly creative, for example in landscape photography in which the addition of a foreground object renders the full depth of the scene. Astonishing portraits can also be obtained with a Fisheye. It has countless uses limited only by your creativity.
- High Performance: This 2 in 1 fisheye lens features a detachable macro lens to allow you take close- up sharp images in high resolution. The fisheye lens lets you to achieve unique and intriguing effects by exaggerating the depth of field in your images! High quality product made of import optics glass and resin,top level of transmittance. Metal sealing ring instead of the plastic sealing ring, better tightness, avoids fall or loose.
- Compatible with the CANON Rebel (T5i T4i T3i T3 T2i T1i XT XTi XSi SL1), CANON EOS (700D 650D 600D 550D 500D 450D 400D 300D 1100D 1000D 100D) and Nikon (D7100 D7000 D5200 D5100 D5000 D3200 D3100 D3000 D700) DSLR Cameras with 58mm lens
- Compatible with 58mm lens which include: EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6, EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6, EF 50mm f/1.4, EF 85mm f/1.8, EF 100mm f/2.8, AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G, AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 G
- Lens Cap+ND2+ND4+ND8+Bag
- To enable slow shutter speeds to be used, especially with fast films, to record movement in subjects such as waterfalls, clouds, cars, seas, etc.
- To decrease depth of field by allowing wider apertures to be used, which helps separate subjects from their background.
- To decrease the effective ISO of high speed film (ie: above ISO400) and allow it to be used outdoors in blight situations.
- To allow cine and video cameras (which have fixed shutter speeds) to film subjects such as snow, sand or other bright scenes which would normally cause over-exposure.
- Absorbs the ultraviolet rays which often makes outdoor photographs hazy and indistinct.
- Cuts out UV rays to give astounding sharpness and clarity without affecting colour balance.
- Ultra thin filter frames to help avoid vignetting on super wide angle lenses also designed to hold a lens cap.
- Black aluminum frame equipped with black rimmed glass which reduces reflections.
- Double screwed-in thread, Can be used with lens hood or other Filters.
RECOMMENDED PENTAX LENS
Manufacturing great optics is something at which Pentax excel.
Pentax 50mm f/1.8 SMC DA lens
This is a no nonsense standard 50mm prime lens with f1.8 aperture; meaning it’ll be good in low light.
The 50 mm range is a fairly safe bet for most photographers’ everyday use, good for portraiture, small groups and most things besides.
A 50 mm lens will give, arguably, a similar field of view to that of the human eye (there’s some debate on this subject, with contradictory opinions; needless to say it’s pretty close).
This is a light, compact lens that will deliver high quality images time after time. Many other lens options are available; follow our link.
- Only 1.5 inches and 7.8 ounces
- 47 degree angle of view
- Fixed 50mm focal length
- Fully automatic diaphragm
- Lens construction of 6 elements in 5 groups
- Optimised for use with digital cameras
- Compatible with PENTAX SLR film cameras
- Magnification to 1:1
- Quick Shift Focus System
- Corresponds to a focal length of approx. 75mm with the Pentax digital cameras
And there are of course other great DSLR cameras from Pentax and so we list the best selling below:
- 81 protection seals for a complete protection of the electronic circuits against splashing water, snow, dust and sand
- 16 MP CMOS APS-C sensor for fully detailed images
- Continuous shooting 6 frames/second for catching action shots
- Full HD video (codec H.264) for high quality video clips
- Shutter speed up to 1/6000 second to freeze movement in an image
- 81 Protection seals for a complete protection of the electronic circuits against splashing water, snow, dust and sand
- 16 MP CMOS APS-C for fully detailed images
- Continuous shooting 6 frames/sec. for catching action shots
- Full HD Video (codec H.264) for high quality video clips
- Shutter Speed up to 1/6000 sec to freeze movement in an image
PENTAX, A WELL ESTABLISHED RESPECTED BRAND!